My New Bedding

October 17, 2017

By Tab Byrum

I’ve put it off literally for years but decided to bite the bullet, make the decisions and have new bedding made for our bedroom at home. I had a color scheme in mind for about the last 4 years and had been buying and collecting fabrics over that time, I love working with fabric, choosing colors and putting them together. My friend who sews bedding, draperies, and pillows for me recently announced her husband is retiring and they are moving to Utah so I knew if I wanted her to create it I had to act soon. I opted for a neutral, warm, and masculine color scheme of gray, brown, tan, and taupe, I played off the new headboard we had made a few years ago. The headboard is a wingback design with button tufting done in brown leather, I also used a fabric that I bought from Mood Fabrics in NYC. The fabric from Mood is from their fashion line and is used in men’s suiting, it’s a gray and brown herringbone pattern. I had the bed skirt, a pair of pillows and draperies made from the men’s suiting fabric and then used other accent fabrics from the local fabric stores here in Oklahoma City for the other pillows and the bedspread. OK, time for less talk and more showing, Enjoy!!!

Here’s the before, we had a tan colored comforter cover on our bed, we add a blanket in the winter. The nightstands I bought last year online, the lamps are from Home Goods and I have plans for the wall behind the bed that include wallpaper and artwork. 

Here’s a closer look at the headboard. 

First, we put the bed skirt over the box spring, it has pleats in the middle of the two sides as well as the corners at the foot of the bed. Sorry for the wrinkles, I was a little pressed for time and didn’t get it steamed. 

After the bed skirt, we put the new bedspread on the bed, it’s done in a lightweight chenille fabric that is a gray houndstooth. 

Our sleeping pillows went back on the bed then the three Euro pillows done in tan colored fabric with gold flecking. We added a chocolate brown grosgrain ribbon to the front of the pillows. 

Here’s a close up look at the Euro fabric where you can see the gold highlights as well as get a closer look at the ribbon work. 

I did two more pillows in front of the Euro shams, these are made from the fabric I ordered from Mood. Maartje has a wonderful embroidery machine and embroidered B’s on both of them since mine and Michael’s last names both start with B’s. I may look for more firm pillows for these shams so they don’t wrinkle as easily. 

Here’s a closer look at the embroidery work on these pillows as well as the men’s suiting fabric I used. The fabric’s background is gray and the line running through it is a brown herringbone pattern you can see below. 

The last pillow is this smaller kidney pillow, it’s done in a taupe colored linen that has metallic colored leather circles on it. I used this a few years ago in bedding for a friend and have always loved it, it was still available so I snapped up a yard for myself. 

Here’s one last look, I really like how it turned out and can’t wait to get the rest done. 

Hopefully we will get the new bedroom drapes that match the bedding up in the next couple of weeks, this week is busy with work for both of us and of course, the holidays are fast approaching. I’ll be sure and share with you when we do as well as the feature wall and artwork. I hope this gives you some ideas for your own bedroom. Have a great day and Enjoy!!!

All words and images
are my own.

By on .

2 comments

Leave a Comment


Design by Ana Degenaar + Development by Brandi Bernoskie + Logo by Kelly Beall